The Demuris Team
Founder and Director; CEO
Prof Jeff Errington FMedSci FRS
- Director of the Centre for Bacterial Cell Biology (CBCB). The world’s largest and strongest research centre focused on bacterial cell function
- Previously Professor of Microbiology, Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, Oxford (1989-2005)
- Pioneer of the bacterial cell biology field with nearly 300 peer reviewed publications, many in Nature, Science, Cell, etc. “World record holder” for Molecular Microbiology (53 papers)
- Many academic accolades:
- FRS, EMBO, FMedSci, American, and European Academies of Microbiology
- Novartis Medal, Leeuwenhoek Lecture, Jean Shanks Lecture, Lwoff Medal…
- Founder, Director, CSO of Prolysis Ltd (1998-2009) through to acquisition by Biota Holdings Ltd.
- Board of Directors, Biota Pharma Inc (2010-2013) (latterly NASDAQ)
- Developed 2 novel antibiotic programmes
- Cell division inhibitor (Haydon et al., 2008, Science) (Now with Taxis Pharma Inc)
- Topoisomerase inhibitor (Now with Spero Therapeutics)
Chief Business Officer
- Experienced Life Sciences executive with +30 years experience, including international experience in EU and North America
- Built numerous companies from startup to exit / IPO and responsible for raising over $500M in capital in numerous transactions including venture capital, IPO, follow-ons.
- CFO at Allelix Biopharmaceuticals (Natpara; Gattex; now part of Takeda)
- CFO at StressGen Biotechnologies (peak market valuation >$1B)
- Finance Director at Aspreva Pharmaceuticals (revenues of >$200M; acquired for $1B)
- Member of the founding team at GenomeDx (Decipher Biosciences) (launched multiple molecular diagnostic products)
Dr. Nick Allenby
- Manages the discovery team and all aspects of the drug development process at Demuris
- Working with Demuris since inception
- Has supervised several PhD students to completion
- Managed multiple large collaborative projects involving the EU, Innovate UK and Wellcome-Trust.
- Extensive postdoctoral research studies with Profs Ward & Goodfellow (Newcastle) involving the phylogenetic distribution of antibiotic gene clusters.
- Postdoctoral research studies with Prof Smith at the University of Surrey on antibiotic regulation.
- PhD from Newcastle University in Molecular Microbiology
Dr. David Pompliano
- Internationally recognized drug discovery scientist and entrepreneur
- PhD Chemistry, Stanford and post-doc with Jeremy Knowles at Harvard
- Extensive Industry experience (Merck, GSK) leading discovery teams that generated >30 development dandidates
- Registered anti-infective (Altabax) and anticancer (Tykerb, Votrient, Promacta) drugs
- Co-founder, Revolution Medicines and Lodo Therapeutics
- Member of Board of Directors or Scientific Advisory Boards of several biotechnology companies, government agencies and philanthropies
Prof. Mike Goodfellow, MBE
- Internationally recognised leader in actinomycete taxonomy
- Collecting /classifying actinomycetes for over 40 years
- Published over 400 original papers
- Bergey Medal for outstanding contributions to microbial systematics